Skip to main content

Virtual Worship - 28 February 2021

Lent 2 Dare to be open


Introduction

Welcome to worship coming from Bradford North Circuit and Baildon Methodist church. We are glad that you can join us and whoever you are and wherever you are you are welcome. 

Today is the 2nd Sunday in Lent and we focus on the relationship between Jesus and his Disciple Peter and from this we will think about our lives and how Jesus enables us to be open and honest without fear of rejection.

Collect

What is a collect? – A prayer that gathers our thoughts that we might have; relevant to a subject or theme; and offers them to God 

Let us pray – loving God, we come from our busy lives and we often forget that you walk with us. As we share in worship help us to be more aware of who you are. Give us courage to admit when we don’t understand, give us patience to listen to you - help us to be open to learn from you so that we might grow to be more like you in all we do AMEN

Song

We sing together/ listen together or share the words together  - give thanks to the Lord our God and King His goodness lives for ever (STF 77)  


Bible reading

Mark 8: 31-38  Jesus is explaining what is going to happen and that he will be killed -  and Peter reacts.

Peter – Who was he?

His real name was Simon, he lived in or near Bethsaida at the northern end of Sea of Gallilee but moved to Capernaum to be with Jesus. He was introduced to Jesus by his brother Andrew – John 1-41 &42 The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, “We have found the Messiah” (that is, the Christ). 42 And he brought him to Jesus.

Peter was a fisherman working with his brother Andrew and  also James and John the sons of Zebedee 

Lets think about Peter – what was he like?

Peter was always noticeable  - regarded as a leader. Those who saw him with the group of disciples who go to him for information Matt 17 : 44 After Jesus and his disciples arrived in Capernaum, the collectors of the two-drachma temple tax came to Peter and asked, “Doesn’t your teacher pay the temple tax?” “Yes He does answered Peter 

or again, in Matthew 18 v21 when Jesus has used a parable that is difficult to understand  it is Peter who is first to ask for an explanation.

Peter is headstrong - He is full of good intentions but doesn’t think things through - this comes across several times here are 2 examples  – when the disciples met with Jesus to celebrate the Passover – they were Jews and the Passover is a very significant festival celebrating their ancestors release from slavery in Egypt so this was a natural thing to do and when they meet, Jesus as host greets them but then takes on the role of servant and washes their feet, again a natural thing to occur – but it was the servants job!   John 13 records Peters astonishment  and his refusal to let Jesus do this and Jesus says to Peter you don’t understand why I’m doing this but eventually you will – No! says Peter you will NEVER wash my feet  - Jesus tells Peter if he wont have his feet washed then there is no place for him with Jesus – so Peter then wants to be washed all over!

Mathew again records that Jesus walks  across the water to the disciples boat  - it is just before dawn and they are all terrified But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”  “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”

Bible Reading

An adaptation of Mark 14:66–72 we find Peter in the grounds of the High Priests palace. It was as far as he dared go trying to see what was happening to Jesus - He is trying to be unnoticed but the pressure is really on  Thanks to Ian and Gill Dobson from Thackley and thanks to Marjorie Dobson and Stainer and Bell" 

One story told from two points of view 

First by the servant girl I knew he was one of them from the first minute I saw him – sneaking through the gateway like that! Keeping in the shadows. Avoiding people. Trying to cover his face .It was very easy to see who he was. You know it was the night of the big so-called ‘trial’, when they’d dragged that carpenter in front of them and he caused such a scandal by claiming to be the Christ. This other man was terrified. You could see that, in his face. That’s why he’d kept to the shadows and tried not to be noticed. But it was a cold night and he must have been frozen with fear as well. So, he gradually started moving towards the fire to warm himself .It was just curiosity on my part, really. In a way I felt sorry for him, because I’m sure his friend wasn’t the dangerous rebel they were accusing him of being. So, I only went a bit closer to see if I was right about this stranger.

At first he didn’t take too much notice of me, although he did turn away when I tried to look straight at him. So I moved around to where I could see him properly and said, ‘weren’t you with that Nazarene? That Jesus?’ I didn’t really mean any harm by it, but he turned on me as if I was accusing him of a crime and snapped back that he’d had nothing to do with him.  Well, I wasn’t out to cause trouble, so I left it and the man disappeared for a while – went over to the gateway, I think. I was out there later myself and I said something about him to the group that was standing around. ‘You know, I’m sure that man was with that Jesus. ’He heard me. Probably recognised that I’d said something to him before. And he turned on me again and said, ‘No!’, but much more forcibly this time. He probably knew that the others were now curious too.I walked away then. I hadn’t really intended to get him into trouble, so I kept out of it. But the word had spread and one of the men went over to accuse him ‘You’re a Galilean! You must be a follower!  ’Well, you should have heard the language! He was obviously from Galilee – and most likely a fisherman, judging by some of the words he used! He cursed and swore. He was so angry and so afraid. ‘I don’t even know this man you’re talking about,’ he shouted – so loud that heads were beginning to turn – even away from the scene of the trial. And then the strangest thing happened. The rooster crowed – and the man stopped shouting and stood stock-still. You’d have thought he’d been struck dumb.I couldn’t understand it. Dawn was breaking. The rooster was crowing. That’s nature for you! But there was something very significant about it for him. He seemed to be first terrified, then absolutely devastated. And, without thinking, I turned to look at the prisoner, Jesus. He was looking straight at his friend. And there was such sadness in his eyes. You’d almost think that he was weeping. And the man, this stranger, just took to his heels and ran, with tears streaming down his face.I don’t blame him for being afraid. I would have been afraid if I’d been him in that crowd. But I don’t think that I’ll ever forget that look that the prisoner gave him.

Now we look at the same story from Peter’s point of view

Hello! My name is Peter – yes THAT Peter! 

The one who said, “I will follow you anywhere, Jesus.” The one who was so full of himself when he recognized that Jesus was the Christ when nobody else seemed to. The one who was so proud when Jesus recognized him as a tower of strength and called him ‘the Rock’. The one who set out to fight off the soldiers when Jesus was arrested. The one who denied even knowing Jesus when trapped by that young serving girl in the courtyard. I’m that Peter. Not much to be proud of there, is there?

Unfortunately, I didn’t understand how the mood of the crowd was changing once Jesus was in enemy hands - and I just didn’t think how dangerous it would be for me to be in that place.

It was only when that servant girl looked at me in that strange way and then asked me directly whether I was a friend of Jesus that I looked around and saw just how many hostile faces there were. So I panicked, didn’t I? And I couldn’t believe I was hearing myself denying that I knew Jesus. But once I’d said it I couldn’t go back. They seemed to ignore me for a bit after that, so I hung around, but then I must have said a few words to somebody about how cold it was and they recognized my northern accent and started on me again. I was really frightened that time and my tongue got the better of me, as usual, and I found myself cursing and swearing that I didn’t know this Jesus in any way. 

Then I heard the cock crow – three times – and immediately I was back with the memory of Jesus telling me, only the night before, that I would deny him three times. I was devastated, because suddenly Jesus was looking at me and I knew that he knew what I’d done - even if he hadn’t actually heard the words I’d said. I didn’t know what to do with myself and I just wept and wept and then I ran away. I had betrayed him and didn’t know how to live with myself.

Adapted from two pieces by Marjorie Dobson © Stainer & Bell Ltd

Song

How deep the Fathers love for us  or From Heaven you came helpless babe (STF 272)


Peter and Jesus – Patience and forgiveness

If we summarise what we have recognised about the character of Peter, what might we say?

He was the one that gets noticed and we find out that this was not a good thing when the pressure was on

He wasn’t afraid to ask questions if he thought he didn’t understand

Peter is headstrong, sometimes abrasive  - misunderstanding what he sees and wont be corrected easily

We could say he was a  bit of a show off  - if only he could carry through his confidence

And in the end he just failed – failed to recognise the warning from Jesus – failed to stand up and be counted – failed his master with who he had experienced so much.

BUT – through all this Jesus is patient with Peter Jesus sees the potential in Peter, even with all his faults. You see Jesus didn’t look for perfection when he called his disciples to follow him. if we look at a map of Galilee (Look in the back of your bible) the northern end of the sea of Galilee is out in the sticks, a long way from Jerusalem – about 80 miles – Jerusalem iswhere Jesus might have found Priests, Rabbi , holy men. But Jesus didn’t want such people – he wanted those who would respond to his call to follow Him.to trust Him 

Jesus once asked his disciples “Who do people say that I am ?” and the answers from the disciples typically were Elijah, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets then he asked “who do you say that I am? – Peter answered “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God" (Matthew 16 v 16) Jesus replies that Peter hasn’t worked this out for himself – but God has revealed this to him – and because of this Jesus is going to build His church with Peter (the Rock) as its foundation. And even with all this confidence in Peter, at the end in Jerusalem Peter fails big style as we have recognised earlier 

BUT there is another chance – after the resurrection Jesus speaks to Peter  - calls him Simon and asks three times Do You love me? Of course says Peter three times and Peter is forgiven. By the Risen Jesus.

So what about Peter Jesus and us

Lent is a time of  personal preparation often marked by giving up something, perhaps a regular treat, Lent is a time of study and reflection on the life death and sacrifice of Jesus.  Lent is a time for doing something extra, study, supporting those in need. Stepping outside our comfort zone in faith  – knowing that we have the love, and the patience shown to us in Jesus  and the forgiveness when we go wrong. Which, if we trust Jesus, gives us the confidence to try again. – why? We can see in the life of Peter a range of mistakes that he made – and yet he was still loved and his potential was still recognised – “You are Peter The Rock on which I will build my church.” 

It would now be easy to say to you “So go out in to the world confidently, taking with you the assurance that You are loved – even with your faults and do Gods work.

But pause for a moment - what do you think will be Gods work for you this week? We are limited we cant visit we can go for a walk one to one, we might buy flowers  or a gift  let me make a suggestion – Lets  phone someone to check up on them. Now don’t choose the easy one, decide on someone who may be a challenge  Think of them by name. now  how might that go , will you have to be PATIENT  How will you show LOVE if they tell you how much they appreciate your call how will you feel? Will you be HUMBLE.

So go – make the call and when you ring off pause, how did it go  and how did you feel  -next time what will you differently  - and no matter how it went Thank God because his love and power was there  - for you – and for your friend.

We pray together 

A Lenten Prayer using Psalm 121  (From All We can; Methodist Relief and Development)

Let us pray: I lift up my eyes to the mountains—where does my help come from?

Loving God, We look to you this Lent, For help, For hope, For reassurance that you are dwelling with us;

We lift our voices to declare  My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot slip—he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel

will neither slumber nor sleep. God, our refuge and strength, We cry out for your protection for our frontline workers and most vulnerable.

We thank you for the distribution of the vaccine and the joy this brings. We pray for our brothers and sisters in marginalised communities who are less certain of when a vaccine will be available for them; May there be equity and accessibility for all.

We lift our voices to declare: My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.

The Lord watches over you—the Lord is your shade at your right hand  ;the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. Lord of all, This Lent. We open our hearts and minds today, Asking that you will fill them with the knowledge of your love.

We lift our voices to declare: My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.

The Lord will keep you from all harm—he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

God of restoration,

We pray for all those who are sick and in need of healing; Bring wholeness and well-being We ask that you comfort the grieving, The lonely The lost, And the uncertain.

We lift our voices to declare: My help comes from the Lord ,the Maker of heaven and earth.

Amen.

The Lords Prayer

Hymn

One more step along the world I go  (STF 476)


 Blessing

The Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, The love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit

Be with us evermore Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soupermums! Wilsden Trinity Church

Do you have a young baby? Looking for something to do? If the answer is yes then Soupermums is for you. We're here from 11 until 1 every Monday, Mums (and dads) have a rest and the babies can play. Have a lovely sit down whilst you sip on a brew. Enjoy having someone else make lunch for you! Come along to Wilsden Church, meet the rest of the group. Lovely ladies cuddle the babies, whilst you eat your soup. Chat with the mums, new friends you will make. Swap tips and advice over a slice or two of cake. So what are you waiting for? come on along, For homemade treats, good company and if you're lucky a song. We're looking forward to meeting you, please come take a peek, 11-1 at Wilsden Trinity, we're here every week! Celine V  (a Soupermum!) Where can new mums go, to have lunch where it’s warm and safe and you get to eat fresh soup and homemade cakes, while someone holds your baby? Too big an ask? Not at Wilsden Trinity! Every Mond

A year in the life of Baildon Methodist Church

The snippets below are taken from Baildon Methodist Church report to the Charity Commissioners for the year ending August 2017. Church membership increased to 187 by the end of the year. As a further development of the Jesus Shaped People programme, which we found so inspiring, (https://www.jesusshapedpeople.net/) a five-week teaching programme entitled ‘Parables For Baildon’ again took place in the New Year, studying the relevance of the Parables in relation to living today. A ‘Family Focus’ leaflet, updated seasonally, was produced listing all activities and events available at Baildon Methodist Church for children and young families. Events during the year included a harvest supper and entertainment, a Gilbert & Sullivan evening, a comedy night, a Church Anniversary social, Action For Children Christmas Fayre and concerts by Village Voices, Aire Valley Male Voice choir and Woodhouse Grove School. In the autumn, the Church hosted a visit by a group of young Palestinian dan

Message from the Ministry Team

Dear friends By the time you read this, we will already be a month through this new year. Where does the time go? It really does seem to go by ever more quickly, as each year passes. For children who have returned to school after the Christmas and New Year break, next Christmas will seem an age away. When I started secondary school, I couldn’t imagine getting to the end of school at 18. I worked out that I would be 35 at the turn of the century, but that seemed impossibly far away. So what makes time seem to pass quickly? After all, each week is made up of seven days and each day has 24 hours, whatever our age or stage in life. Responsibilities play a part: there are things we need to do at certain times, and any deadline always makes us aware of time ticking away as we approach it. We accrue responsibilities as we grow older and take on more senior positions at work, or have a family to look after. At church, we ta