Skip to main content

Deacon Merry Evans


Hello. I’m Deacon Merry Evans. I began working in Bradford North Circuit on September 1st this year – let me introduce myself.

I grew up in Ilford, in the London Borough of Redbridge. I attended Church of England and Congregational churches as I grew up but eventually found my home in Methodism when I was 17. At school I was good at science, but greatly enjoyed music and drama too. I trained as a teacher in Nottingham and while there I met and married Karen. We have three grown up sons.

Since I became a Deacon we have lived and worked in Salford, Stockton-on-Tees, Wakefield, Morley, Sheffield, and Leeds. The work in each of these places has been very different. Deacons are trained and appointed to circuits to further the witness of churches in the community. We are sometimes described as ‘bringing the Church into the World, and the World into the Church’. Much of our focus is on engaging with people ‘on the edge of society’ so sometimes my ministry has been outside of church settings (prisons, mental health units, caring charities and city centre work) and other times very much in church settings (particularly where the shortage of Presbyters have left a gap in the staff team) so I preach and may conduct baptisms, weddings and funerals although not preside at communion. Deacons particularly engage in facilitating churches in pursuing their spirituality and in outreach.

While Deacons are Ordained Ministers of the Church, we are also members of the Methodist Diaconal Order (MDO). This is a Religious Order following a Rule of Life, being committed to prayer and to witness. We are the nearest thing Methodism has to having monks and nuns!

I have been appointed to the circuit half time, and will be spending the ‘other half’ of my time working with other churches or circuits in the District.

I greatly enjoy training and leading groups, and am a trained Group Facilitator and Spiritual Director. I look forward to working with you and your churches, especially in helping you get to grips realising the next step of your church’s vision! Please talk to me if you think I might be able to help.

God Bless!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual Worship - 3 April 2022

A Methodist Way of Life - April 2022 - Praying Daily Service sheet (pdf) Start by listening to ‘Lead me Lord’:  Hello and welcome to the Bradford North worship video for April, the first of 12 services focusing on the commitments contained within the Methodist Way of Life and introduced by Rev David Goodall in last month’s video. My name is Claire Nott: I’m a local preacher on trial in the circuit and one of the lay pastors at Baildon Methodist Church. The anthem you heard at the start was Samuel Wesley’s ‘Lead me Lord’, based on Psalm 5 verse 8. Our call to worship is a selection of other verses taken from the same psalm: I pray to you, O  Lord ; 3      you hear my voice in the morning; at sunrise I offer my prayer [ b ]     and wait for your answer. all who find safety in you will rejoice;     they can always sing for joy. Protect those who love you;     because of you they are truly happy ...

Fresh Aire Fair Trade

Our Fairtrade organising committee will be launching its new name, Fresh Aire Fair Trade, during Fairtrade Fortnight with a circuit event: 10.00 am to 12.00 noon Saturday 12 March 2011 St Andrew's Methodist Church The event will be opened by Rev Richard Atkinson, former minister of the Woodhouse Grove Circuit and Chaplain of Woodhouse Grove School. Richard is making a special visit back to the circuit for the event which will include refreshments and opportunities to buy "Fair Trade" and "Traidcraft" food and gifts. There will be children's events and a chance for all to win a prize by designing a new logo for the group. We look forward to welcoming you. (Also see the Fairtrade Fortnight events at Thackley Methodist Church)