Skip to main content

August 2020 Prayer Column - Fear, faith, and peace

Over and over again the disciples of Jesus are urged, “Don’t be afraid.” Angels say so when they appear suddenly, even lighting up the night sky. And Jesus himself: when he seems like a ghost in the dark, walking on water; or in a storm when the boat is about to sink; and after he’d disappeared from the grave and then reappears mysteriously and unnaturally beside them. In the face of fear he reassures them, challenges their faith, and promises peace. (Lk 1:13,30; 8:25; Jn 6.20; 14:27) In our fears we can find help in these words still.

Do not be afraid: God is still in charge. He has not changed. He loves you and his promises hold true, even while we sail in dangerous seas.

Where is your faith? We all need to check this when we waver. What do we think of God, and of Jesus as our Lord? Do we really trust him in practice, in these times of uncertainty and discomfort? It is a challenge, but remember: nothing can separate us from his love – not sickness, nor death, nor bereavement; past, present or future. (Rom 8:35-39)

Peace: Peace was his farewell blessing to his disciples, and always still that promise of peace remains for his faithful followers, whenever he seems absent or we face disconcerting or terrifying upheavals.

When we lack that peace we can pray for it: we have access for help 24/7. Ask in faith, earnestly and urgently, but trust God to answer in his own way and in his good time. Do not be afraid. And in all things, be thankful.

Roy Lorrain-Smith

A prayer for each week

Oh Lord, I’m so frightened! Please give me the faith to believe you’re still there and in charge. And give me the courage to face down my fears. Amen.

Oh Lord, I’m so confused! What are you doing with us, and saying to us? Please help my trust: enough to sleep and wake refreshed, able to help. Amen.

Oh Lord, I’m so near the end of my tether! How can I carry this burden any longer, let alone take on more? May I share your yoke, and find rest. Amen.

Oh Lord, I feel so alone! I miss the family, and my friends. I don’t think any one understands the way I feel. Do you, Lord? Please be with me. Amen.

Oh Lord, I’m so thankful! You are God, Creator, Lord of all, and yet my heavenly Father. Thank you for your blessing, reassurance and promises. Amen.

Your own prayers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Aire Fair Trade

Our Fairtrade organising committee will be launching its new name, Fresh Aire Fair Trade, during Fairtrade Fortnight with a circuit event: 10.00 am to 12.00 noon Saturday 12 March 2011 St Andrew's Methodist Church The event will be opened by Rev Richard Atkinson, former minister of the Woodhouse Grove Circuit and Chaplain of Woodhouse Grove School. Richard is making a special visit back to the circuit for the event which will include refreshments and opportunities to buy "Fair Trade" and "Traidcraft" food and gifts. There will be children's events and a chance for all to win a prize by designing a new logo for the group. We look forward to welcoming you. (Also see the Fairtrade Fortnight events at Thackley Methodist Church)

Christmas Craft Fair

10.00 am - 1.00 pm Saturday 4 December 2010 - Thornton Methodist Church Hot mince pies and refreshments Admission 50p inc tea/coffee