Skip to main content

Prayer Column - November 2019

For what and for whom?

What should I be praying for? Well, I suppose whatever’s going on round me, what I care about – what God has laid on my heart. Pray for my part in it, and for a good outcome, that which would please God (that’s what ‘good’ is) even if I don’t yet see what that should be. Pray that God will find a way through obstacles and brick walls,. And I mustn’t forget to thank him for good things already seen, nor neglect to praise him for those answers he hasn’t yet revealed. That would show proper faith.

And then who: for whom should I be praying? There’s those I have some responsibility for: my family of course; and friends, especially any who’re sick, or struggling, or who’ve asked me to pray for them; and then those I just meet and mix with through work or hobbies or wherever, and feel concerned about; not to mention ‘kings [or queens] and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life’ (1 Tim 2:2). And... But hang on! That’s getting an awfully long list. Is there no limit?

Hmm! How about a different approach? Instead of a great long list to be worked through systematically and ticked off – even if some are omitted after a certain number of ticks – would I do better to try and develop a prayer-alert attitude. I mean seeking to listen to God as I meet people, or even as they come to mind, and pray as he directs. Core lists could still be useful memory joggers, but such an approach might stop them becoming altogether burdensome. 

Could prayer become more of a habit?

Roy Lorrain-Smith

A prayer for each week

Almighty God, who looks down from above the heavens and sees all, you have called me to pray to you, and listen for you, please show me how. Amen.

Everlasting Lord, ever in control, of each of us and our world, please give me faith to pray for help with problems, however simple or insuperable. Amen.

Heavenly Father, who desires all to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth, please show me who and what I should pray for, day by day. Amen.

Great God of all, present in each believer by your Holy Spirit, please give me an awareness of your concern for people, and keep me alert to pray. Amen.

Your own prayers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual Worship - 3 April 2022

A Methodist Way of Life - April 2022 - Praying Daily Service sheet (pdf) Start by listening to ‘Lead me Lord’:  Hello and welcome to the Bradford North worship video for April, the first of 12 services focusing on the commitments contained within the Methodist Way of Life and introduced by Rev David Goodall in last month’s video. My name is Claire Nott: I’m a local preacher on trial in the circuit and one of the lay pastors at Baildon Methodist Church. The anthem you heard at the start was Samuel Wesley’s ‘Lead me Lord’, based on Psalm 5 verse 8. Our call to worship is a selection of other verses taken from the same psalm: I pray to you, O  Lord ; 3      you hear my voice in the morning; at sunrise I offer my prayer [ b ]     and wait for your answer. all who find safety in you will rejoice;     they can always sing for joy. Protect those who love you;     because of you they are truly happy ...

Sunday 6 July - what a great day!

Sunday July 6th - what a great day! 17 new members welcomed at Baildon MC in the morning - I pray that they will continue to sparkle as God's lovely people! Tea with the folk at Crag Road Methodist Church a happy time, around the table in the 'back room', where on Fridays hospitality is extended at the Drop In. Two inspiring memories to take with me! Rev Sarah 

Called to the Big Society?

At leeds Church Institute (near the railway station) 20 New Market Street, Leeds LS1 6DG 9.30 am to 4.00 pm Friday 4 November 2011 Chair:   Bishop of Hull, Richard Frith Speakers: Dr Patrick Riordan SJ - Lecture in Political Philosophy at Heythrop College has written widely on the common good. Prof Peter Wells - Director of the Centre for Regional Economic and Social Research at Sheffield Hallam University - has written recently on regional disparities in the Big Society for Yorkshire and the Humber. Speaker for the Government or from the Centre for Social Justice to offer an explanation of the government's perspective on The Big Society (to be confirmed) With contributions from Christian projects across Yorkshire and the Humber that illustrate Christian mission in the context of a Big Society. A regional event to consider what the Big Society is from a government perspective, how that fits with a Christian theology of the Common Good, and what sort of ...