Skip to main content

A book full of stories - March 2016 prayer column

If history is the stories we tell about ourselves, as someone once said, could prayer be the stories we would like to be part of, with the Lord?

I praise God because I need reminding (repeatedly, till it’s part of me) that God is praiseworthy: great, good, glorious and gracious. That’s why I want to be in his story.

I ask God for help with problems because I’d rather not be in that particular episode, or if I have to be, please can it help bring about a wonderful denouement that nothing else could.

I pray for others for much the same reasons – to straighten out their bio or enrich them in ways beyond imagining (God’s stories are so astonishing in their twists, turns, and endings).

But then there’s pondering prayers, when I have to ask God what the plot actually is, because it’s sometimes easy to lose, isn’t it? What are you doing, Lord? Which way now, and with whom?

Worship can also include hindsight prayers, when I see and marvel at the narrative God is writing as he leads me, allowing for my likes and leanings, though always true to his overall theme.

And any time is thank you time: for keeping me to his plotline, through all the rival tales and rumours that might tempt me into dead ends – down to sloughs of despond; up blind alleys where the wayward prowl, or too dangerously near the edge.

Can you pray like this too?

Thank you, Lord, for writing me into your script, through Jesus, Amen.

Roy LS

A prayer for each week

Dear Lord, Great Author of all that is, please help me not to lose the plot on the way to you, through Jesus. Amen.

Dear Lord, Master Editor of all our work, please help me to accept all your amendments of my best efforts. Amen.

Dear Lord, Expert Spinner of all our yarns, please help me blend alongside all those with whom you ply me. Amen.

Dear Lord, Chief Weaver of all our plotlines, please help me accept and play each role in which you cast me. Amen.

Your own prayers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Aire Fair Trade

Our Fairtrade organising committee will be launching its new name, Fresh Aire Fair Trade, during Fairtrade Fortnight with a circuit event: 10.00 am to 12.00 noon Saturday 12 March 2011 St Andrew's Methodist Church The event will be opened by Rev Richard Atkinson, former minister of the Woodhouse Grove Circuit and Chaplain of Woodhouse Grove School. Richard is making a special visit back to the circuit for the event which will include refreshments and opportunities to buy "Fair Trade" and "Traidcraft" food and gifts. There will be children's events and a chance for all to win a prize by designing a new logo for the group. We look forward to welcoming you. (Also see the Fairtrade Fortnight events at Thackley Methodist Church)

Christmas Craft Fair

10.00 am - 1.00 pm Saturday 4 December 2010 - Thornton Methodist Church Hot mince pies and refreshments Admission 50p inc tea/coffee