Skip to main content

October message from the ministry team

Dear Friends,



Autumn is the time of mists and mellow fruitfulness. It is a time of harvest and cropping. It is also the precursor to preparing for winter. After the harvest, comes the shedding of leaves and plants returning to their basic condition.

This made me think about our lives in Jesus Christ. Have we had a harvest in our lives? Has each of us shown the ripe fruits of Jesus Christ to everyone we meet? Have we been laden with the fruits of the Spirit, to attract people to Jesus, as creatures are drawn to the fruit trees and plants? This is a wonderful time of year to share Jesus with people. (As well as the rest of the year.)

Also, at this time of year, nature is preparing for the onset of winter, and plants and trees are shedding leaves and retreating back into bulbs, so they can survive the winter. Are we as Christians doing the same? Have we parts of our personal lives and church lives cluttered up, so that we need to get rid of things? Do we allow Jesus, the gardener, to prune our lives?

In our garden, we have a clematis climber that would not flower. It was 9 feet tall. A gardener asked if we ever pruned it. I said “No.” and he said: “Take it back to 10 inches tall”. Well, very scared, I did as he told me. The next year we had an abundance of flowers.


I know that, within my own life, there are areas that I have to look at and see if I really need that. Perhaps I have got into a rut of routine and not realized it. Maybe there are things that I do or see as important, but now I know that I have to let it go. Is Jesus asking me to look at fresh areas of development and ministry, but I cannot do that, until I have shed this?

I think of the hermit crab who, every so often, has to get rid of its shell and find a different one, so it can grow. Do we need to do this?

As an individual, church and circuit, we can become overladen with familiarities, comfortableness, and security. We need to have a dropping off of our personal, church and circuit clutter and see where Jesus wants us to be.
Jesus stripped himself of everything to save us. By this, he allowed the faith of people and the Church to grow.

I realise that all this is scary, as it means we have to let go of areas in our lives or attitudes, but we need to do this to grow.

We also have, in our garden, a Comus (that’s posh) often known as a Dogwood. In summer, it is a green, leafy bush. In winter, it drops its leaves and the stalks become a vivid scarlet. What a transformation!

I pray that each of us in Bradford North will allow Jesus to transform us into something new and glorious for Him.

Bless you all

John W
Pastoral Co-ordinator

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual Worship - 3 April 2022

A Methodist Way of Life - April 2022 - Praying Daily Service sheet (pdf) Start by listening to ‘Lead me Lord’:  Hello and welcome to the Bradford North worship video for April, the first of 12 services focusing on the commitments contained within the Methodist Way of Life and introduced by Rev David Goodall in last month’s video. My name is Claire Nott: I’m a local preacher on trial in the circuit and one of the lay pastors at Baildon Methodist Church. The anthem you heard at the start was Samuel Wesley’s ‘Lead me Lord’, based on Psalm 5 verse 8. Our call to worship is a selection of other verses taken from the same psalm: I pray to you, O  Lord ; 3      you hear my voice in the morning; at sunrise I offer my prayer [ b ]     and wait for your answer. all who find safety in you will rejoice;     they can always sing for joy. Protect those who love you;     because of you they are truly happy ...

Fresh Aire Fair Trade

Our Fairtrade organising committee will be launching its new name, Fresh Aire Fair Trade, during Fairtrade Fortnight with a circuit event: 10.00 am to 12.00 noon Saturday 12 March 2011 St Andrew's Methodist Church The event will be opened by Rev Richard Atkinson, former minister of the Woodhouse Grove Circuit and Chaplain of Woodhouse Grove School. Richard is making a special visit back to the circuit for the event which will include refreshments and opportunities to buy "Fair Trade" and "Traidcraft" food and gifts. There will be children's events and a chance for all to win a prize by designing a new logo for the group. We look forward to welcoming you. (Also see the Fairtrade Fortnight events at Thackley Methodist Church)