Skip to main content

Listen carefully..... Reflections of a duty minister

One of the joys of ministry is the diverse and rich range of conversations one has during a week.

Over the last seven days I’ve spoken to someone just back from visiting Pakistan, and another person who hasn’t stepped outside her home in months.

I’ve talked with an elderly lady in preparation for her husband’s funeral, and a young mum preparing for her daughter’s baptism, both conversations evidencing the complexity of human relationships.

I’ve been part of a meeting considering the future of a church which meets in a listed building and is struggling to fund the maintenance, and in another heard of a new fellowship forming around a kitchen table.

I’ve visited a lady in hospital showing great courage in the face of a scary diagnosis, and a gentleman whose fortitude in the light of major disability is amazing.

Today I’m going around the shops local to one of our churches, taking the church’s offer to pray for the concerns of shopkeepers and customers, and later will be meeting with people considering their vocation, the call of God on their lives.

Reflecting on each of these conversation, and more besides, I’m grateful for opportunities to speak God’s love, and hear it, to see God’s presence and show it.

And I'm reminded I need to listen carefully.....

Rev Nick

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Aire Fair Trade

Our Fairtrade organising committee will be launching its new name, Fresh Aire Fair Trade, during Fairtrade Fortnight with a circuit event: 10.00 am to 12.00 noon Saturday 12 March 2011 St Andrew's Methodist Church The event will be opened by Rev Richard Atkinson, former minister of the Woodhouse Grove Circuit and Chaplain of Woodhouse Grove School. Richard is making a special visit back to the circuit for the event which will include refreshments and opportunities to buy "Fair Trade" and "Traidcraft" food and gifts. There will be children's events and a chance for all to win a prize by designing a new logo for the group. We look forward to welcoming you. (Also see the Fairtrade Fortnight events at Thackley Methodist Church)

Christmas Craft Fair

10.00 am - 1.00 pm Saturday 4 December 2010 - Thornton Methodist Church Hot mince pies and refreshments Admission 50p inc tea/coffee