Skip to main content

November 2013 Prayer Column - Persistent Pestering

Persistent Pestering


At the launch of Walkers are Welcome in Baildon the other day, Colin Speakman reviewed 200 years of work for public access to the countryside, leading to our present footpath network (and who knows what next).  He commented that change rarely came but by pestering authority till they yielded for a bit of peace.
It’s like the point Jesus made about the need for persistence in prayer (Luke 18:1-8).  But if, as he said, the Father God to whom we pray is so much more willing to respond than selfish power groups, why then do we still need to persist or even pester?  Here are a few suggestions.
Problems in us: Asking for the wrong things, or for selfish reasons?  Could delay be the Father redirecting our thoughts?  Keep checking?
Problems out there: Resistance not from God but from other forces, which may take time to overcome  (e.g., Daniel 10:12-14).  Keep at it.
Problems beyond: God is sovereign: he knows best, and some reasons for his non-compliance may be beyond our finite ken.  Keep praising.
Problems in perception: Jesus didn’t fit expectations.  Paul wanted rid of his thorn in the flesh (2 Cor 12:7-10).  And we may not be recognising how God is blessing Bradford North.  Keep looking.
Persistence in prayer might be likened to a long flight of steps, but I’m not sure whether we are toiling up for a grander view or descending humbly to the foot of the cross.
Roy Lorrain-Smith


A prayer for each week

Father God, you’ve told us to pray and I have been doing for ages.  Why aren’t you answering?  Will you show me if I should change the way I’m praying in some way, please.  Amen.

Father God, what I’m praying for seems so right, and you aren’t telling me to stop, or change, so please help me to persist until everything falls into place for your answer to come.  Amen.

Father God, Sovereign, seeing beyond all our grasp, I have prayed long for my heart’s desire, but now I trust that you know best about whether, or when, or how to answer.  Amen.

Father God, what are you doing in Bradford North?  You promise to respond when we pray, but I don’t see it.  Am I not looking right?  Please can you show me your answers.  Amen.

Your own prayers


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Aire Fair Trade

Our Fairtrade organising committee will be launching its new name, Fresh Aire Fair Trade, during Fairtrade Fortnight with a circuit event: 10.00 am to 12.00 noon Saturday 12 March 2011 St Andrew's Methodist Church The event will be opened by Rev Richard Atkinson, former minister of the Woodhouse Grove Circuit and Chaplain of Woodhouse Grove School. Richard is making a special visit back to the circuit for the event which will include refreshments and opportunities to buy "Fair Trade" and "Traidcraft" food and gifts. There will be children's events and a chance for all to win a prize by designing a new logo for the group. We look forward to welcoming you. (Also see the Fairtrade Fortnight events at Thackley Methodist Church)