Skip to main content

Always Connected - April Prayer Column

Always Connected

The rising generation is always connected.  You see it wherever you go: heads down, thumbs active, eyes glued, ears wired.  It’s true they sometimes don’t seem so much in touch with others around them, but they’re plugged in and switched on.  I’ve been wondering about 3G (always connected) prayer.  It isn’t new, of course.  Jesus said we ought always to pray and not lose heart (Lk 18:1), and Paul urged it often: ‘Pray without ceasing’ (Ro 12:12; Eph 6:18; Col 4:2; 1 Thes 5:17).  There is much to be learned from teenage dedication, but with one or two major differences.

In prayer we’re not connecting to some remote system of machinery for as long as our credit lasts, but with the Father God in the control room of creation, to whom we have been granted (through Jesus, in the Spirit) 24/7 access – wherever, whenever, whoever, and forever.  It’s a pretty good contract.  And the purpose of getting connected is for help in time of need to be more in touch with those around us: more compassionate, more open, more listening, more helpful.  More present where we are, as the Quakers say.

The only thing remaining is to learn how, and as every child in the rising generation knows, all you have to do is switch on and get exploring.  The world awaits.

Roy Lorrain-Smith

A prayer for each week

Just a quickie, Lord.  I want to say thanks for always being there.  It’s so great to know you’re always available.  And such a blessing.  Why don’t I do it more often?  Sorry!  Thanks.  Bye. 

Lord, looks like your help’s needed with that guy over there.  I can’t do anything but ask you.  Please tap on their window, lift the gloom, whisper a message, bring a friend.  Thanks. 

Lord, I’ve got here, but I don’t know where next.  Please guide me: where to turn, what to decide, and who with.  I want to do your will, not the world’s, but it’s hard to see how.  Amen. 

Lord, I’ve just a moment.  Please bless what I’m doing, so I do it right.  And bless those I’m meeting, and working with, so that your presence, direction and energy fills us all.  Amen. 

Your own prayers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Aire Fair Trade

Our Fairtrade organising committee will be launching its new name, Fresh Aire Fair Trade, during Fairtrade Fortnight with a circuit event: 10.00 am to 12.00 noon Saturday 12 March 2011 St Andrew's Methodist Church The event will be opened by Rev Richard Atkinson, former minister of the Woodhouse Grove Circuit and Chaplain of Woodhouse Grove School. Richard is making a special visit back to the circuit for the event which will include refreshments and opportunities to buy "Fair Trade" and "Traidcraft" food and gifts. There will be children's events and a chance for all to win a prize by designing a new logo for the group. We look forward to welcoming you. (Also see the Fairtrade Fortnight events at Thackley Methodist Church)

Christmas Craft Fair

10.00 am - 1.00 pm Saturday 4 December 2010 - Thornton Methodist Church Hot mince pies and refreshments Admission 50p inc tea/coffee