Skip to main content

Message from the Link

Dear Friends

A few years ago I was asked to go and take a service in Elland.  I set off in good time as I didn't know where the church was and I was informed that it was difficult to find.  However, I found it alright with the aid of the A-Z and a helpful resident who pointed the way.  I couldn't park near the church, so I had to walk up an historic set of steps.  When I got to the top, I encountered a beautiful Methodist Church with a well kept garden in front.  As I was early I sat on the seat in the sunshine and enjoyed a lovely view; it felt good to be alive on God's earth.

The service went well and afterwards I set off back home, unfortunately I took a wrong turn in the middle of Elland and didn't realise until i had travelled 2 miles.  I asked a lady which was the correct way and she pointed to the motorway.  When I arrived at the motorway there was no junction, so I ended up going right over Saddleworth Moor on my way to Oldham.  I was relieved when I saw a sign pointing to Huddersfield.  After 15 miles I cam to a roundabout and soon realised I was back in Elland.  This time I took the correct turn and was soon on my way home.

As I reflected on this incident, I thought this can be an illustration of the Christian life.  If we reject God's way and do our own thing, we will always have to come back to the place where we parted company with Him.  There are no short cuts on our spiritual pilgrimage.  Yes, we do have to come back and however long it takes, God's hand will guide us back into His way.

Christian love
Keith

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual Worship - 3 April 2022

A Methodist Way of Life - April 2022 - Praying Daily Service sheet (pdf) Start by listening to ‘Lead me Lord’:  Hello and welcome to the Bradford North worship video for April, the first of 12 services focusing on the commitments contained within the Methodist Way of Life and introduced by Rev David Goodall in last month’s video. My name is Claire Nott: I’m a local preacher on trial in the circuit and one of the lay pastors at Baildon Methodist Church. The anthem you heard at the start was Samuel Wesley’s ‘Lead me Lord’, based on Psalm 5 verse 8. Our call to worship is a selection of other verses taken from the same psalm: I pray to you, O  Lord ; 3      you hear my voice in the morning; at sunrise I offer my prayer [ b ]     and wait for your answer. all who find safety in you will rejoice;     they can always sing for joy. Protect those who love you;     because of you they are truly happy ...

Fresh Aire Fair Trade

Our Fairtrade organising committee will be launching its new name, Fresh Aire Fair Trade, during Fairtrade Fortnight with a circuit event: 10.00 am to 12.00 noon Saturday 12 March 2011 St Andrew's Methodist Church The event will be opened by Rev Richard Atkinson, former minister of the Woodhouse Grove Circuit and Chaplain of Woodhouse Grove School. Richard is making a special visit back to the circuit for the event which will include refreshments and opportunities to buy "Fair Trade" and "Traidcraft" food and gifts. There will be children's events and a chance for all to win a prize by designing a new logo for the group. We look forward to welcoming you. (Also see the Fairtrade Fortnight events at Thackley Methodist Church)