A special Circuit Meeting was held on Monday 2 December at Thackley, to have conversations about the future of the circuit, in the light of the work which has been undertaken over the last two years, and comments received from various sources about the operation of team ministry.
Questions which were addressed, and which need prayerful reflection by all who attend our churches, covered the following issues:-
- What significant ministries are provided by our churches, and how can we ensure that these are continued and developed?
- In planning for the future, how do we judge whether a church is viable or not? Vision? State of building? Finance? Lack of officers? Proximity to other churches?
- Where is the best place to make decisions about the use of resources? Is the Circuit too remote? Should churches be grouped in clusters?
- If the notion of clusters is to be adopted, on what basis should these be formed?
- What is the relationship between a church and those who rent its premises?
- How much should the state of our buildings, current and future, influence our decisions about viability?
- To what extent is our identity as church caught up in our worshipping together weekly on a Sunday morning? Could it be appropriate to maintain a building, but not use it for worship on a Sunday?
No firm decisions were taken, but useful feedback was gained which will enable the Circuit Leadership Team to draw up some proposals to be put to the next Circuit Meeting on Wednesday 5 March.