Skip to main content

Prayer column - January 2013



When the light goes

Lord, where are you in this cold, dark, dank graveyard of a time? When I look up there is only darkness, like a thicket shutting out the sun. I’m shivering! There’s none of the warmth you’ve blessed me with before.

Why do I have to suffer like this? Why is everything so dark and hopeless? Why do I have to cope on my own? What’s the point of it all? Why haven’t you answered my prayers and taken away the pain like you promised?

And yet – promise: when I think, perhaps your promise is after all the key to the way out of this dungeon of despair. Perhaps I have to hold on to your promise that you are never absent, even in the scary shadow times, merely invisible, for reasons of your own: it’s a trial, not a life sentence. I have to endure and win through, torture though it feels like. Didn’t James say trials were a training programme building us up; didn’t Peter see them as a refining process, producing faith of pure gold? A crucible isn’t meant to be comfortable! (James 1:2-4; 1 Peter 1:3-9)

Lord, open my eyes to see my way out of the wood, to the light beyond in the open space; and the glorious prospect of eternal life in the new world with you, once you’ve put us through your full workout here. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Roy Lorrain-Smith

A prayer for each week

Lord of light, never overcome by darkness however dense, please help me to cling to that great truth when all seems gloom to me, and to press on in faith till the light breaks through once more, through Jesus. Amen.

Lord of the light of life, providing the spark which illumines all our lives, please help me to look to you when, in the murk of confusion, I am tempted to look elsewhere for hope and purpose – through Jesus. Amen.

Lord of the light of creation, upon whom the whole world depends, please may I continue to trust you with every living breath and faltering step I take, until you lead me out of the wood, and I can see. Amen.

Lord of the light of recognition, providing the joy of friendship in well-known faces, please help me to recognise and respond to true friends and acts of friendship, especially when I feel cold, hard and isolated. Amen.

Your own prayers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Aire Fair Trade

Our Fairtrade organising committee will be launching its new name, Fresh Aire Fair Trade, during Fairtrade Fortnight with a circuit event: 10.00 am to 12.00 noon Saturday 12 March 2011 St Andrew's Methodist Church The event will be opened by Rev Richard Atkinson, former minister of the Woodhouse Grove Circuit and Chaplain of Woodhouse Grove School. Richard is making a special visit back to the circuit for the event which will include refreshments and opportunities to buy "Fair Trade" and "Traidcraft" food and gifts. There will be children's events and a chance for all to win a prize by designing a new logo for the group. We look forward to welcoming you. (Also see the Fairtrade Fortnight events at Thackley Methodist Church)

Christmas Craft Fair

10.00 am - 1.00 pm Saturday 4 December 2010 - Thornton Methodist Church Hot mince pies and refreshments Admission 50p inc tea/coffee